Monday, March 12, 2007

Poncho and Lefty

Momma, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Country and Western Fans

I'm not sure how it happened. It might have been Patsy Cline. It could've been Lyle Lovett's If I had a Boat or his version of Stand By Your Man (part of the soundtrack for Niel Jordan's The Crying Game). It definitely had something to do with Lucinda Williams and certainly involved Gillian Welsh. By the time I started buying recent Johnny Cash vinyl (Lost Highway Records), including his rendition of NIN's Hurt I should have finally admitted it myself: I dig country music.

Willie Nelson has been filling up my room with his The Essential Willie Nelson that includes a freakin' awesome tune by Willie and Aerosmith.

I recently special ordered the newest Willie Nelson vinyl produced by Ryan Adams.

I'm about to head on a road trip with BadMark and I forwarned him that there'll be some C&W in our mutual future. Dude was undaunted. "It's a phase," he says, "you'll get over it."

But as I listen to Willie and Merle sing Poncho and Lefty and drink Strongbow Premium Cider, I'm not so sure. What happened to me? The punk me? The acid jazz me?

I usually sign off with a 'cheers' or 'ciao' but I think I will end with 'howdy and good day to you, sir.'

Although, it could explain the pony.

xoxo

M

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home