Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Don't Trademark Pride

The sign says it all

You may not be able to read the sign on the blue pick up truck (my Treo has its limitations) but it says, "Don't TM Pride". This is a community response to the efforts by the Vancouver Pride Society to trademark the name 'Pride' in an effort to control the types and number of events that occur during Pride Week in Vancouver, including the nearly middle-aged Pride Parade. I believe the quote was, "somebody is going to control the name Pride and we want the community to own it" (but don't 'quote' me on that 'cause I'm going from memory).

There was also some sort of reference to 'unscrupulous' persons putting on events and exploiting Pride.

How any public event could be unscrupulously using the name 'Pride', duping unwitting participants, is baffling to me as is the belief that trademarking the name will prevent this. And the argument that 'somebody' will eventually own the name 'Pride' is contentious and open to argument.

Leave things as is, I say, and let the community throw good or bad parties, events, or fundraisers to the level of their skill or care. The nice ones will throw nice parties, the nasties will throw parties in which feelings get hurt but so be it. The nice people will find their way amongst their own and the slim-witted and innocent will find themselves tossed about in good and bad seas as is usual for them.

I agree: DON'T TM PRIDE.

I'm sorry. Did I say that out loud?

xoxo

M

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home